Monday, April 4, 2016

The Community of Broadway



        Hello again, dear readers, and welcome to yet another blog post. As I have addressed in previous posts, at the heart of Broadway is a community that allows for interactions among all, including the fans. Working in the heart of the theater district, that idea is at its acme in everything that I see. From seeing stagehands load in or load sets as productions start up or finish, respectively, to sitting at a bar next to one of the greatest composers in musical theater history, I have never felt so surrounded by a community of theater professionals and fans alike, often one in the same. Broadway, for all intents and purposes, can easily be thought of one large community that outsiders and professionals alike interact and support great causes.
       An experience comes to mind that illustrates my point in Broadway being this community of support. I was distributing flyers in Times Square on a nice summer day. It, for the most part that day, had been business as usual. I was promoting The Phantom of  the Opera, when an elderly gentleman caught my eye, walking towards me. I chuckled as, with my young eyes, I saw that this gentleman resembled Harold, aka "Hal," Prince. Prince is perhaps one the greatest directors and producers on Broadway, contributing his immense vision to such shows as Cabaret, Sweeney ToddFiddler on the Roof, and, of course, the very show I was promoting that day. I dismissed the fact that such a genius could just be walking through Time Square and instead I resolved to offer a discount flyer to The Phantom of the Opera to this Hal Prince doppelganger. So, I looked this gentleman straight in the eye, extended my hand out that held a flyer, and said, "Discount to Phantom?" This gentleman smiled, grabbed the flyer out of my hand, and then laughed. That, dear readers, was the day that I gave a discount flyer for The Phantom of the Opera to Hal Prince. I wish I had realized that that was Hal Prince, and afterwards had not been in such a state of shock. If I had, I would have said two simple words I have always wanted to say to this legend, "Thank you." It is because of such visionaries that I work in such a wonderful community. Did Mr Prince need to take that flyer from me? Absolutely not. I have heard stories of other theater professionals either politely or, on rare occasion, impolitely, declining a flyer in such scenarios. That such a positive scenario happened to me still has me in awe to this day, yet goes to show just how many people are involved in making Broadway the community it is.
         Such interactions among so many people at different levels in the theater world isn't the only way that Broadway is a community. A good amount of support is also given for others in need by Broadway. Often this takes the form in donations made to such noble causes as Broadway Cares/ Equity Fights AIDS as well as other causes. Did you know that it's possible to see a Broadway show and afterward  get a cool memento for a donation? Well, that very thing is happening now, as some Broadway shows have starting participating in fundraising drives for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. in exchange for donations of cash, with credit cards also accepted, theatergoers can purchase a rare treat of theater memorabilia such as a signed poster or program, prop, or other merchandise at participating shows. Proceeds from these events then go to the remarkable work done by Broadway Cares. It is also common for performers to participate in concerts with proceeds benefiting this charity, as well as others. Just recently, a return performance of the Broadway musical Shuffle Along from a hiatus saw $40 tickets sold, with proceeds donated to The Actor's Fund. In all, Broadway continues to be a community of those who love what they do and look to spread that love to as many people as possible.
       In all, dear readers, the next time you visit the Theater District, whether to see a Broadway show or some other purpose, take a look around. You are standing in a community not to dissimilar to ones we interact with every day. Broadway is a loving community that allows for the outsider the occasional glance on the inside, usually for the price of a ticket. Yet, there is still that community upon exiting the theater. taking a look around easily reminds you of that. Until the next time, this is Mike signing off, ghost light lighting on.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment